If your guest doesn't eat seaweed or raw fish, or simply wants to try a new flavor, I offer two variations of maki, Italian style, with or without nori. The pink color brings a festive touch and it's perfect for an original aperitif!
Ingredients for 2 makis:
200g of prepared sushi rice
1 sheet of Nori seaweed cut in half
2 - 4 slices of raw ham
½ ball of mozzarella
A dozen beautiful fresh basil leaves
- Prepare Japanese vinegared sushi rice.
- Prepare the filling: cut the mozzarella in sticks. Wash and dry the basil leaves.
- Wrap the mat with cling film, place the slices of raw ham side by side and spread the sushi rice over the entire ham (in a thin thickness, leaving about 1.5 cm on the opposite edge to allow it to stick to the the end).
- Arrange the garnish (basil leaves and mozzarella sticks) slightly towards you in relation to the center of the maki. Roll the maki using the mat, tightly.
- For the nori seaweed maki, replace the raw ham with half a sheet of nori, use the raw ham as a garnish.
- Cut the maki into eighths. Wet the knife with a damp paper towel each time you cut.