It is one of the typical dishes of Japanese family cuisine, it is called “Souzai”. As it offers a strong taste, you will be satisfied and it goes well with rice. It's good as a bento dish and also recommended for vegans.
Ingredients: serves 2-3 people
1 green pepper
1 crushed garlic clove
2 tbsp. tbsp vegetable oil
For the Miso sauce
- 1 C. teaspoons of Miso* (ideally red Miso)
- 1 C. teaspoons of sugar
- 1 c. to s of Mirin*
- 1 C. teaspoons of Sake or white wine
- In a small container, mix all the ingredients for the Miso sauce.
- Wash and cut the eggplant into bite size pieces and soak in water for 5 minutes to remove the pungent flavor.
In the meantime, wash and cut the pepper into cubes.
Drain the eggplant water, roughly dry the eggplants with absorbent paper.
- Heat a pan, pour in the oil and add the crushed garlic clove then fry the eggplant until it is soft and golden.
Then add the pepper and fry for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the Miso sauce and mix well so that the eggplant and pepper are well coated
It's ready ! Enjoy with rice.
You can keep this dish for 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator.
What is this ?
INn Japanese condiment made from fermented soybean paste.
You will find it at organic or in a Japanese grocery store.
A kind of very sweet sake.
You will find it in a Japanese grocery store.